Thursday, May 13, 2010

Honey, Who Shrunk the Soap Cake!

So many things in our daily life go unnoticed. We do not pay attention to these because we take them for granted. I will give an account of what I have observed.

For some time I was wondering why the soap cakes at home are getting finished sooner. I have been using the same brand of soap 'M' for almost a decade and a half with the exception of a couple of weeks in between. Long ago these were available in 75gm (small) and 150gm (big). I cannot say much about smaller ones, but the weight of the bigger one is reduced to 125 gm and the price increased, may be a couple of years ago. When I go to shop I ask for 'big', I thought I am buying 125gm ones. Off late I have been observing that they are not lasting the same no. of days they used to. When I looked on the pack it is written 125g with a check box ticked. I was wondering if the composition in the soap is changed that it gets worn off quickly. Or is it the rats that started eating them mistaking them to be candy?

I understood why it was happening only when I read what is written on wrapper. And it was written in a very small font. The reason is that the soap is not weighing 125g as mentioned prominently, but weighing less : it is actually 113g.

May be the changed economics or competition with other brands or whatever it be that these companies are facing that they employ such tricks, the fact is I got less than what I thought I was getting.

When I looked at other brands the same thing is happening. And if it goes on like this, the soap gets smaller and smaller, may come in the size of match box. But still the weight mentioned as 125g, without people ever raising an eyebrow.

People are more interested in IPL and soap shows than to know what is happening around us that concern our lives. No one is really bothered. Then why should I?

No comments:

Post a Comment