Thursday, June 16, 2011

Dont't Have A Television? Thats Wierd!

I believe that the other name for television is "Idiot Box" is true.
I have been resisting having a Television at home for a long long time. I have been made fun of by relatives, friends and foes (if I have any) alike for this. Yet I stuck to my guns steadfastly. Before marriage some people thought that marriage would 'transform' me. Possibly they thought that there would be no woman who cannot stay away from the idiot box.

But I have proved them wrong. I have never coerced or forced my better half. I have rather convinced her. I don't think she regrets for that. Luckily my parents also never protested my decision.

When people (in my circle) came to know that there was no TV at my place, the most frequent questions I faced were "Then what do you do for entertainment?" or "How do you get to know the current affairs?" or "Don't you get bored?".

Most of my friends think that watching TV is pretty useful, that it improves their GK. I could never convince myself that watching a program like 'Kaun Banega Karodpati' would really enhance my general awareness. I would rather read a lot more in 1 hour. I am definitely not interested in participating in quiz competitions. But National Geographic Channel, Discovery, History channels are exceptions.

Here are some of the barbs thrown at me :
- Even slum dwellers watch TV.
- How much money would you save by sacrificing your entertainment.
- Why do you make your parents (wife after marriage) suffer.

We had, sometimes, to witness funny reactions of others. Once a guy came to our house for some survey about programs people watch on TV. It took some time for him to believe that we did not have a TV. Why not. May be our house could be the only one without TV in hundreds of houses that he went to survey.

I have displeased so many of relatives, who visited our house,that they missed one or more episode(s) of their favourite serials, to which they were addicted to.

Finally my reasons for not having a TV are simple. Others may think they are trivial, which is again subjective. Here are a few of them :
1) I do not want flavoured and coloured news.
2) Channels bombard us with more of negative things (like gory murders, robberies, murders, etc.). I certainly don't need this s**t.
3) Serials drag on with little content, waste of time and emotion.
4) Vested interests manipulate us, our thinking and the way we live. Without the power of TV, I cannot imagine how acids could be passed off as soft drink, junk could become happy meal and baby foods could substitute breast-feeding.
5) Unnecessary items are thrust on us like Bill Clinton's affairs or Sarah Palin's daughter's marriage or Prince Williams marriage. Why do I need all this. And finally...
6) Fear that I would interact less with the members in my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment