Tuesday, June 14, 2011

These People Are Mean!

One day I was on my way to office. As I got down the public transport bus, I heard Sri (not the full name), a colleague of mine, saying "These people are mean!". I did not understand whom she was referring. While walking to office from bus stop, the following conversation took place between us :

I : Excuse me!.
Sri: Oh! These bus conductors are mean.
I : What happened?
Sri : They don't return the change. They loot us.

I felt 'loot' was unwarranted and a bit too strong a word in that context.

I : Do they? Strange it did not happen to me not even once in more than 10 years. (With a puzzled look.)
Sri : I can't believe it. You are kidding.
I : Not at all. I am not a big fan of RTC bus conductors (to back them).

We dropped the conversation as I felt continuing any further would put me in a tight spot.

I will share the secret which saved me from accusing others of cheating. I always carry/carried enough change for my daily travel in buses. When I told this to a few friends, their reaction was either "It's not possible." or "It's difficult." or "Conductors should keep enough change. It's their duty." or something else of that sort.

In fact, often during my travel back to home, it would be last trip for the buses. Conductors end up having lot of change. So I exchange notes for coins, when they don't need them.

I would have found so many items in the Sri's handbag at the time of conversation - lipstick, powder, creams, soap, etc. except a few coins.

I do this only in my interest. I just do not want to upset myself over such a trivial and avoidable issue like this. Finally, as a matter of fact I rarely had trouble with auto drivers and fruit vendors over change.

No comments:

Post a Comment